Lies in Edfu town, 123 km north of Aswan on the west bank of the Nile. It dates back to the Ptolemaic period. It was dedicated to the worship of the god Horus represented as a falcon. It is one of the most beautiful Egyptian temples, distinguished by its huge splendid structure that blends Pharaonic and Greek architecture. Its grandeur competes with the Luxor temples and it is the second largest temple after Karnak. It also houses the Nilometer and a huge pylon at the entrance. It was discovered in 1860 by the famous archaeologist Auguste Mariette. On its walls are reliefs which depict the history of Ptolemies and religious beliefs and art style of the period. Various ceremonies are depicted on the walls including the battle between deities Horus and Seth, as well as the annual festival when the live falcon bird was selected and worshipped. This is the most complete temple of the ancient world.